University of California, Riverside

Department of Chemical Engineering

Safety: Medical Emergencies


Information on this page supplements information provided on the UCR Environmental Health and Safety website.

General Steps in Medical Emergencies

In the event of an emergency, call 911 or 9-911 (campus phone). If you are calling from a cellphone dial (951) 827-5222 to reach the UCR Police Department.

Immediate Actions

If a person is injured or becomes seriously ill on campus:

  • Check the scene to see that it is safe, and that you and the victim are not in danger. 
  • From a campus phone call 911 or 9-911 (or ask someone to call 911) to request medical assistance; state the type of medical emergency it appears to be (cut, head injury, heart attack, etc.).  Dial (951) 827-5222 to reach the UCR Police Department.
    • You (or the caller) should be able to provide the dispatcher the location, the type of injury or illness, if the victim is conscious or unconscious, and if an ambulance is needed.
  • Get the office/lab First Aid Kit and use needed supplies as directed or to the level of your first aid training.
  • Do not move the victim if unsure about head/neck injury. 
  • Retrieve and use any other appropriate and available emergency medical equipment (e.g., automatic external defibrillator (AED))
  • Remain calm and reassure the victim while waiting for emergency personnel.

Additional Information/Follow-Up Activities

  • Report an injury (no matter how trivial it may seem) to:
    • Principle Investigator (P.I.) or Supervisor.
    • Workman's Comp Coordinator: Jenny Chen, 2-4654.
    • CEE LSO: Kathy Cocker, 2-2097.
  • The injured person will need to complete the appropriate paperwork concerning any injury sustained while working on campus for CEE.  It is imperative that you contact the department within 24 hours of sustaining the injury to preserve your rights to receive worker's compensation benefits if medically necessary.  If the form cannot be filled out due to seriousness of injury, the injured person's supervisor will report the accident/illness.
  • Link to Incident Reporting Guidelines and Form


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
446 Winston Chung Hall

Tel: (951) 827-5190
Fax: (951) 827-3188