Energy Conversion and Storage focuses on the understanding of and improving technologies for production of alternative fuels that reduce dependence on petroleum and offer substantial economic, strategic and environmental benefits.
Current research interests include:
- Biological conversion of cellulosic biomass to ethanol and other sustainable products
- Application of thermochemical processes to produce diesel and other fuels from biomass, coal, and other carbonaceous materials
- Electrochemical deposition-stripping of metals for energy storage
- Metal-sulfur electrochemical reactions
- Multivalent ions intercalation reactions