Visit UCR Return to Campus website - Take the COVID Screening Check survey



Information on this page supplements information provided on the UCR Environmental Health and Safety website.

General Steps in Medical Emergencies

In the event of an emergency, call 911 or 9-911 (campus phone). If you are calling from a cellphone, dial (951) 827-5222 to reach the UCR Police Department.

Immediate Actions

If a person is injured or becomes seriously ill on campus:

  • Check the scene to see that it is safe, and that you and the victim are not in danger.
  • From a campus phone call 911 or 9-911 (or ask someone to call 911) to request medical assitance; state the type of medical emergency it appears to be (cut, head injury, heart attack, etc.). Dial (951) 827-5222 to reach the UCR Police department.
    • You (or the caller) should be able to procide the dispatcher the location, the type of injury or illness, and if an ambulance is needed.
  • Get the office/lab First Aid Kit and use needed supplies as directed or to the level of your first aid training.
  • Do not move the victim if unsure about head/neck injury.
  • Retrieve and use any other appropriate and available emergency medical equipment (e.g., automatic external defribillator (AED)).
  • Remain calm and reassure the victim while waiting for emergency personnel.

Additional Information/Follow-Up Activities

  • Report an injury (no matter how trivial it may seem) to:
    • Principal Investigator (P.I.) or Supervisor.
    • Worman's Comp Coordinator: Jenny Chen, 2-6454
    • CEE LSO: Kathy Cocker, 2-2097
  • The injured person will need to complete the appropriate paperwork concerning any injury sustained while working on campus for CEE. It is imperative that you contact department within 24 hours of sustaining the injury to preserve your rights to receive worker's compensation benefits if medically necessary. If the form cannot be filled out due to seriousness of injury, the injured person's supervisor will report the accident/illness.
  • Link to Incident Reporting Guidelines and Form

General Steps in Non-Medical Emergencies

In the event of an emergency, call 911 or 9-911 (campus phone). If you are calling from a cellphone dial (951) 827-5222 to reach the UCR Police Department.

Types of Emergencies

The above is a summary of the more common types of non-medical emergency procedures. The EHS site has a complete document with all UCR Emergency Procedures.

Safety Resouces and Training


All researchers (faculty, research scientist/engineer, postdoctoral scholar, graduate student, undergraduate researcher, visiting researcher, volunteers) affiliated with CEE and working in a laboratory must complete the Lab Safety Orientation training PRIOR to working in the lab.

Note: this is the minimum required safety training; your specific lab may require additional training depending upon your research.

Chemical Safety and Biosafety Resources